Hank's Table

Hank's Table

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

TV Star Found Dead



It was just announced at the time I started writing this blog that actor Lee Thompson Young died at the age of 29 from an apparent suicide. Many people my age know him from Disney’s “The Famous Jett Jackson” and others will know him from the show “Rizzoli & Isles.”

I remember watching Young when he was Jett Jackson, so I was shocked to see that he had died, and even more disappointed that it came from committing suicide. Nothing has been released yet concerning the motive of the suicide; though I’m sure a police report will come out soon. As I was reading the article by Fox News I noticed that people were quoted saying that he was a “sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man” as well as a “gentle soul.”  
From a viewer’s perspective I could not agree more. I didn’t know him personally, but I did pay attention to his acting skills. I remember seeing a very talented young actor with a great personality and smile. Disney would often do behind the scenes with “The Famous Jett Jackson” which offered more viewers the opportunity to see his personality. Below I have attached the article from Fox News.

 http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/19/rizzoli-isles-star-lee-thompson-young-reportedly-dead-at-2/ 

Maybe you're reading this today and you know someone who has committed suicide. I know I do... sadly too many. I know of a couple of people from my school that decided to take their life and it has weighed heavy on me. I’ve preached on this subject to many of the youth I have had the opportunity to speak to because I feel that it could be one of the most important things our youth should hear. There are many statistics that show how a lot of teens and adults deal with depression, but because I just want to have a conversation on the subject I've decided not to post any stats, however anyone can simply Google it if they desire. Suicide and depression have been linked to each other, and though I don't know the reason for Young taking his life, I'm assuming it was depression related.

Our youth often looks at Hollywood Stars and assumes they have a great life with all the money and fame. Desiring to be more like them in areas of popularity, talent, and even looks. However, Hollywood Stars are no different than anyone else, they too have life issues. I believe that a relationship with God goes a long ways. I also know that if it had not been for my relationship with God that after my mother's death I would have probably hit depression myself. But because of my relationship with God there was still a peace even in the middle of the storm. It gave me hope for a better day. Sadly many people don't get to experience what I have. So I've found that it is my responsibility to share my faith with others. Those who admit they have no hope and those who seem like they have it all together.

Maybe Young hit rock bottom and felt he couldn't go any longer. But yet still hid behind his smile so that no one would know. The same thought goes for the two I personally knew that committed suicide. I do believe God can fix relationships, finances, storms, and inner demons. But if I don't share that belief with others am I robbing them of true life? I'm sure those around Young felt the same way I did when hearing of his death. A response of unbelief and a question of "why?" He seemed like he had it together, but obviously he didn't. Those around us may seem like they have it together, but do they really?  What's really hiding behind that "smile" and can God use us to maybe save a life?

Thanks for reading,
Hank






No comments:

Post a Comment