Hank's Table

Hank's Table

Monday, August 26, 2013

Miley and the VMA's



This morning as I was sipping my coffee and reading the news online every headline from Fox News to NBC News was talking about Miley Cyrus performance at last night’s VMA’s. I’m happy to say I didn’t see her performance, yet every article I saw used the word “raunchy” to describe her at the VMA’s. Both articles showed a picture of her dancing with barely any clothes on and even showed the expression of Will Smith’s family that looked disturbed. This picture has gone viral.

Both quotes that I’m about to share came from the Fox News article that I have a link to below. Amy Cunningham tweeted saying “Miley Cyrus' performance at the VMAs is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever watched.” While Kevin Hart, who was last year’s VMA’s host joked about her performance saying "Miley better go get a pregnancy test after all that grinding." 


     I think that parents should take note that this type of entertainment is not even suitable for kids, teens, or even adults. Miley may be 20 years old but it’s sad to me that she feels as though she has to dress and dance this way to be a “star.” Yet we as consumers feed this mentality when we buy her music and allow our teens to have posters of her on their walls. I believe that we are continuing to pressure young girls into believing that by dressing and dancing like a hooker you’ll be more popular and successful. Yet as consumers of media we are hungry for more and more of that “shock factor” that comes with this type of entertainment. 

     The older I get the more I understand how precious innocence really is. Maybe as a teen growing up I can admit that this was not the case. Just like any teenager I wanted to be in the know. But why as adults are we simply allowing the innocence of our teens to be trampled on? In every home a parent or guardian should be sitting down with their kids to express how this type of action is not acceptable. From a biblical stand point I know God is not pleased. But even if you aren’t a Christian would you accept your child walking around their school acting like Miley? 

     Maybe you watched the VMA’s and thought there was nothing wrong with her performance. Maybe you were ok with Lady Gaga’s apparel and Kanye West’s sacrilegious references to himself being Yeezus. Or maybe you were like me who was floored and disturbed by all three. As I had mentioned I didn’t see Miley’s performance but I did see most of the show. I saw Justin Timberlake who proved to be a work horse overshadowed by a theme of “gay equality” and “Do as thou will.” 

     As a Christian I wonder how God really feels about the United States and its changing views. I also wonder what he was thinking when he saw that hundreds of us tuned in to watch the VMA’s and even accepted what we saw as simple “entertainment.” Most of all I feel bad for Miley. Miley has gained tremendous popularity since she left “Hannah Montana” for a more risky adult-themed pop star. The turn of character reminds me a lot of Brittany Spears who left the “bubbly teen” image for a “grown up” look. Look at everything Brittany has gone through since that point. Perhaps Lindsay Lohan and Hillary Duff are examples of the road Miley is heading down. Yet her music and image is selling while her innocence is being flushed down to the toilet. She’s being feed to the media crows.



     If you have read this article and feel the same way I do I think we should do as Jesus has instructed us. We should pray for them. In the end they are people too who have been put on a pedestal. And when they fall, it’s going to be a long ways down. As Pastor Rodney Shaw said on Twitter concerning the Fox News article he posted, "Have we no conscience? No shame? They gave America what she wanted. Weep for your children. Weep for yourself."

Thanks for reading,
-Hank          

No comments:

Post a Comment