Hank's Table

Hank's Table

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ashton Kutcher: Best Advice Ever

     Ashton Kutcher, at this years Teen Choice Awards, amazed many of us with the incredible speech that he presented to young adults attending the event. Kutcher, who won an award at the event, was there promoting his new movie "Jobs." Kutcher himself plays Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs. He went on to lay out three things he found important: Opportunity, Being sexy, and Living life.

     On the topic of opportunity he told the teens that he felt like a "fraud" because he's been going by his middle name Ashton (real name is Chris) because of the nature of the business. He mentioned that being Chris taught him many lessons about opportunity in the work force. I personally found it encouraging that an actor as successful as he mentioned to the young teens looking upon him that hard work creates opportunity to build upon. He stressed that he was "never better than his job" and each job was a "stepping stone." This is something important for all of us to understand. Each job is another chance to grow and better ourselves, but each job also plays an important role on getting us where we want to be. There is nothing wrong with flipping hamburgers and nothing wrong with getting a different job. Isn't America great!

     On the topic of being sexy he said that the most important thing you can be is "really smart, and thoughtful, and generous." Teens often look to magazines and movies for inspiration on style and how to be "sexy." Ashton is spot on when he mentions the importance of a good education as well as being kind to others. I've preached often to teens stressing the importance of realizing what is really important in life. I too got caught up with trying to "be cool" with certain fashions and looks. I too got caught up trying to look like actors I saw on TV just because I know that's what the girls in school talked about. I also witnessed girls in school ruin their lives because they, too, got caught up trying to act like something God never intended for them. Many would eventually give in to pressure that caused them to lose their identity, or even get pregnant. Plenty of magazines and movies expose us at a young age to things we really shouldn't know. Once I graduated high school I quickly realized all the junk I thought was important was nothing more than a distraction; that stuff didn't matter anymore now that I was an adult. I think Ashton has also realized that.

     Lastly, he closed his speech by speaking about living life. He said that he learned about life while playing the role of Steve Jobs, mentioning that it was Jobs who said that we should stop living life, and instead build a life with others in it. When I heard him say this it was like a light bulb went off in my head. The world teaches us what it believes life should be: raising a perfect family, making lots of money, and being successful. Yet life it much more than all of that. It's about having a lasting impression and doing something beyond you. Steve Jobs was the creator of Apple, and I for one wouldn't be surprised if you were reading this blog either on your iPhone, iPad, or Macbook right now. Steve Jobs was considered revolutionary and a genius, yet it was Jobs who said that we should build a life with others in it, and not just live a life. This impressed and inspired me to the core. Maybe it sounds dumb to you but this statement alone makes me just want to be better. It also shows me that there is a lot more to life than just living it.

     Overall I was very impressed with the advice Ashton gave these teens. I'm blogging about it because I hope this video falls in the hands of more teens (and adults) that need to be inspired. Maybe you think your job is a joke, well it's not, it's an opportunity to better yourself and move up. Maybe you think you don't have the looks to be loved or popular. Popularity is a joke, it's a myth created by people who are fake, and a distraction from the true things that really matter. Plus it's expensive and means nothing once you graduate, and we all realize it when we get there. So save yourself some money and stress and just be you. And while your doing that realize how important and precious life honestly is. It took me losing my mother to cancer before I realized how life is a vapor. Don't just live life, but build a life with those you love and care about.

Thanks for reading,
Hank

No comments:

Post a Comment