Hank's Table

Hank's Table

Monday, August 12, 2013

Things I learned at My First Job



     When I was growing up my father taught me the meaning of hard work. We lived on a farm and we had a good bit of land that we had cows on. Every summer my father, his brother, and a few others including myself would get out in the dry hot weather and bale hay starting at around 5:00am. This was torturing work and for anyone who knows what I’m talking about I’m sure they would agree. The work included sitting on a tractor all day in the baking sun, loading square bales of hay on the back of the truck, stacking each one on top of the other, and then loading it into the barn. It was from this type of work I learned the meaning behind the saying “from sun up to sun down.” Getting up early at a young age was not fun, believe me I’d rather be doing other things. Sweating and being out in the sun with that itchy hay was not how I wanted to spend my summer days. I’d rather be sweating playing basketball. But that summer work made me grateful for my first “real” job which had air-conditioning. It also opened a door to a new work environment that put me in contact with people besides my family.

     At the age of 16 I got hired on at the fast-food restaurant Krystal. This was my first job and an exciting time in my life because not only was I making my own money, but I had also just accepted my calling into the ministry. I learned a lesson from that first job. People usually expect 16 year olds to do some dumb things, and not always make the best decisions, but if you acknowledge the calling to the ministry people expect a higher walk from you. Every day was a new day for me to be a witness for Christ or even a day to plant bad seed. What I mean by that is everyone watches to see how you act under pressure. Is the preacher kid going to blow a fuse, lose his cool, or even cuss when an irate customer goes off on him?  By always trying to be Christ-like in my actions I was able to be a witness. I created friendships with co-workers my age and even older. They would text me and ask for prayer, they would even allow me to pray for them on the spot. When we had dead time I was able to teach them Bible Studies. These were mostly people with no church background, but who hungered for God.

     I stayed at Krystal for only a few years, but I’ve stayed in contact with a few of the employees I worked with. Even today I’m able to minister to them because of the witness I created at such a young age. When I moved to Murfreesboro to start college at MTSU I went to work for a restaurant called Hickory Falls. Once again I was surrounded with people who had some church background, but many of them didn’t. When they found out I was in the ministry it opened up a lot of conversation about God. Because of this I became really good friends with the owner of the restaurant. Before he and his brother started Hickory Falls he was the CEO of Logan’s Restaurant, a restaurant I’m sure you have probably eaten at. He and I would spend hours talking about God and we would often meet up for lunch to discuss the Bible. He and his wife were very kind to my wife and me, often having us over for dinner and Super Bowl parties. Of course this meant a lot to me that he thought so much of my wife and I, but it meant so much more that he considered me a spiritual advisor and friend. While working at the restaurant I would have colleagues that would come to me for prayer. Sometimes these prayers were beyond serious. A family member was dying and in need of a miracle, someone was in a car wreck and it was serious, and families being torn by divorce. Each time I would pray for them on the spot God would answer… No joke! In fact there were two of us that attended church together and it got around that if you needed prayer go to the Pentecostal boys because God hears them. What a witness! Yes it did make me feel great knowing that they believed in the God I served because they were able to see him work through us. In your work be an open vessel that God can and will use if you’ll allow him.    

     Currently I work with a few friends from my church at a payroll company. Even my boss attends my church, which is very neat because we are on the same page spiritually. We pray when there is a need. But the company however is very large and filled with people with many backgrounds. I’ve noticed from this new job that people are still people. There is a hunger for the things of God even at this new job. I see it often when I’m approached with questions concerning the Bible, asked to pray for their certain needs, and even asked about my church. I’m not saying that you always have to initiate the conversation about God. However, I am saying your co-workers should know you are a Christian and should be able to see your faith by your actions. It is important for me to add that when people know you’re a Christian and especially in the ministry it comes with great responsibility on your behalf.

     We should be careful what we say and how we say it. We don’t want to cause a stumbling block for our faith. Our doctrine may be flawless and the God we serve beyond powerful, but a bad attitude and unkind words can kill your witness. Be slow to speak and quick to listen. The Holy Spirit is powerful enough to aid you even during times of frustration. Allow the Spirit of God to give you peace. Each new day is only another day to be a witness and win souls. Don’t allow bad times to plant seeds that grow to produce bad fruit. But instead allow them to be times for people to see the Jesus that lives in you. Don’t be afraid to share the gospel, especially your testimony. But beyond anything be real, be you, but obviously be the born again you.  

Thanks for reading,
Hank

No comments:

Post a Comment