Hank's Table

Hank's Table

Friday, April 22, 2011

"Mommy Wow... I'm a Big Kid Now!"

Matthew 18
The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven
1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.


Ah, the days when we were kids! Do you remember them? Running as fast as we could, everyday was play time, innocence, candy, cartoons on Saturday mornings. Oh yes, the joys and freedoms from the world because who needs to worry about bills, what's for dinner, is the world going to end tomorrow if we elect that person president. That kinda stuff are for adults, but not for me.

The older I get the more the pressures of the world weigh me down. I'm not going to lie to you, I hate it! I promise you I'll be the kind of father who tells my children the same thing my parents told me, "Don't rush life, be a kid". I even find myself having grown up talks about how the world stinks, I hate my job, I don't know how I'm going to pay the bills, I'm sick but I don't want to see a doctor, another person died today, I need coffee just to get myself going again, and my back hurts..... Seriously, is this what I really wanted when I was sitting in my first grade classroom answering my teacher on what I wanted to be? "Yes Mrs. Woody, when I grow up I want to complain about my back hurting all the time". I DON'T THINK SO TIM!!! Honestly what I really wanted to be was a Power Ranger, that would often switch between being Batman, Indiana Jones, and Peter from Ghostbusters. But the last thing on my mind was being a waiter, salesman, lawyer, or politician.

Jesus told us that unless we become like little children we would never see the kingdom of God. The Lord didn't intend for us to become lazy and lay around and play video games all day and not have any responsibilities, but what he did intend for us to do was to have FAITH like a child and leave all the grown up things to him. Because I'm a Bible teacher I can't believe that I would be the worst one at becoming a child in faith. Honestly I worry about my bills, I'm a 23 year old college student that works 2 jobs and serves in the ministry. You think I have time? Absolutely not! But Jesus did tell us that "if God cares so wonderfully for the wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you." then Jesus ask the disciples a simple question, "Why do you have so little faith?" (Matt. 6:30)

So Hank why do you have so little faith? So person reading this blog why do you have so little faith? Are you allowing the pressures of this life to get to you to the point that you aren't allowing God to be your daddy and you think that you'll do a better job playing grown up? I'll be even more honest with you... I still want to be a Power Ranger, and tomorrow I'll probably want to catch ghost, or run from a 30ft bolder, or fight crime in the streets of Murfreesboro, but I don't want to worry about having the perfect life. Because now that I'm a Christian I have a father who knows all, way better than I ever cold, so because of that I put my trust in him and so should you.

Thanks for reading,
Hank


P.S. if you want to know God in a deeper way or you're not positive if you are saved contact me. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment